Thursday, February 2, 2012

You've got to admit it's getting better!

Today marks 7 weeks since I let a couple of surgeons go into my face and rearrange the bones to make a more aesthetically appealing appearance. After being wired shut for 5, tightly banded for 2, it was time to get another X-Ray and hopefully let the bands loosen up.

Going in to the appointment, I really had my hopes set that I was going to be cleared to start eating soft foods like eggs and such so anything less than that was going to be a major league letdown.

I got right in, saw the surgeon who then took an x-ray to see how my bones were healing up. In order to take the x-ray, he completely took the bands off so I had full range of motion for the first time since he unwired me at the 5 week mark. I was able to open my mouth much easier this time than the first time, but I could steal feel that it was sore. Getting the muscles to work in that fashion again is going to be an issue.

After looking at the x-ray, the Doc said I was healing up very nicely. He showed me a picture of the X-ray and said that while he could still see that the bone had some more healing to do, he was very impressed with my progress and felt comfortable loosening my bands. So basically, I have only one, much lighter band that is somewhat limiting my mobility. I got a little devilish grin when I felt how much MORE mobility I had, and the doctor caught that right away. He made sure to warn me that the bone was not fully healed yet and that I could break it again if I get to ambitious in what I wanted to eat. I understand that, so it's all eggs, potatoes and soft things for me until I get the full go ahead to eat that burger or buffalo chicken sub that I am craving.

Taking the doctors advisement under warning, it was almost 9 o'clock. That meant I had only previous few minutes to race back to campus to get into the dining hall and get an omelet made before they closed down. It is less than a five minute drive from campus to the Doctor's office, but the universe knew I was hungry and was going to try its best to prevent me from getting there.

There are 5 stoplights that I hit in between the office and campus. I hit every single red light. On the two left hand turns I had to make, I had to wait for about a million cars to go by. when I finally did turn, I was following a grandma driving. The time was ticking away....

I eventually got to campus, but lo, I was unable to find a parking spot by the dining hall! I would have to park in the next lot over....

(Cue "Chariots of Fire" theme song) I dashed across campus, dodging and weaving, ducking and spinning slow moving pedestrians, and made it into the dining hall just in time to snag the last omelet made to order. "I'll take an egg white omelet, bacon, cheddar and onion please."

(Cue Duran Duran's "Hungry Like the Wolf") I chowed down hard. Chewing is still kind of an issue. My teeth were somewhat sore, so I didn't want to push it too much. I also couldn't really bite into anything, a large part of that being I'm not used to being able to use my teeth like a normal human. That's going to take awhile to get used to...I'm sure I'm going to bite my bottom lips a whole heck of a lot.

Tonight, I think I will celebrate with some pasta. It's been a long battle, but the real end of it is in sight. Thank you everybody for your support, and I'll plan on making a couple of more updates - when I get fully cleared and I still have my last 10 song selections!

Until then, stay classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment