Wednesday, June 20, 2012

6-Months

So...I totes forgot to keep this thing updated and tie up some loose ends.  Not that anyone is reading this anymore...or cares about this topic anymore...or about me.  But regardless.  It must be done for posterity.

So, has my life changed drastically?  I would say no.  I've gotten a few interesting comments, though.  I went back and visited my classes that I student taught when I was recovered and the first thing that each class said was "Something looks different about you!"  But nobody could figure it out, and I didn't talk about the surgery.

A few people also mentioned to me that I sound a little more clear when I talk.  I still haven't listened to myself talk yet.  I'm nervous to hear it.  Maybe some day I'll be brave enough to listen.

The biggest change I have noticed is that I can bite cleanly through things with my front teeth.  For example, I could never bite through a pickle spear without having to resort to using my back molars.  I successfully bit through one with my front chompers for once.  That was pretty cool.  However, the coolest thing was being able to eat a burger with onion on it/a grilled ham and cheese sandwich and not pull all of the contents out on my first bite.  I BIT THROUGH IT.  That right there makes the surgery a TOTAL success and totally worth it.

The numbness has gone away at a remarkable pace.  I don't think I have any left, save for maybe a really tiny strip on the left corner of my mouth.  My right jaw area also clicks a bit more than it usually did when I chew.  I also have a bit of scar tissue that has built up in my left, inner cheek that is a bit annoying, but has slowly been breaking down.



Other than that, I would say it has been pretty successful.  It was certainly an ordeal to go through, but I am a pretty lucky guy to have a nice support system around me both here at home and back at school. 

Hopefully the braces are off at the end of this summer so I can REALLY enjoy my new face.  I'll put up a new post most likely when that happens, so everybody can see me smiiiiiile for realsies.

So, goodbye for now.

Stay classy errybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment