Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Whatta ya say, Doc?

Tomorrow, it will be three weeks since I had my face broken and reassembled. At times it seems as though the time is flying, and others it seems as though I still have an eternity to go of being a wired shut freak. However, I got some encouraging news!

The plan was to have me unwired between 4-6 weeks if all went well. Seemingly, everything has gone very well. I am scheduled to get the wires cut on the 17th of January, the day before classes start. This could be both a good, and bad thing. Chances are I am going to be really sore. I haven't experienced much of any real painful pain, but he was making it sound as though it will not be pleasant for AT LEAST a few days. But he also made it sound as though I will only have to have tough elastic bands on for a couple of weeks.

I'm still not positive that those bands are going to be much better than being wired shut, but I'm going to keep the positive mindset that A) The 17th will be the day I get unwired and B)Having bands on will be better than being wired shut. I'm going to keep telling myself that, because having to think of being either wired shut for another 3ish weeks or that being banded would be worse is something I can't and don't want to wrap my mind around.

Coming back from Auburn, I was hankering for a milkshake. I was with my mom so we stopped in Weedsport at an Arby's to order one. Turns out they don't have milkshakes there. Arby's is an establishment based on lies and deceit. I swear I've ordered a milkshake from there before. How dare they not have one in my time of need. Rather than going to Arby's once every 3ish years, I'm only gonna go once every 6ish years now to teach them a lesson!

My next great idea was to stop in at Kim's Village Cafe and order a milkshake. This was going to be quite a feat for me because I haven't talked to anyone other than close friends or family really since the procedure. But I built up all my might, went in and saw Kim and asked for a Vanilla shake. She stopped and stared at me for a seconds, only to tell me that they stopped serving ice cream in September, and that she was sorry because she could tell I was needing some :(! AHHH!!! What a day of heartbreak. Not all was COMPLETELY lost, however.

I then proceeded to the store to purchase some chocolate milk and in a stroke of brilliance (which later turned out to be foolishness) I decided to buy some pudding to see if I could eat something like that. The reason I say this was foolish was because I had plenty of things at home that were of the same consistency that I could have tried - YOGURT. Derrr. Turns out the pudding was a little too much for me to handle. I guess I underestimated how how thick that stuff was. I ate most of it but it was a real challenge trying to slurp that stuff down.

That whole experience with the yogurt made me realize how much I miss the ability to use my tongue for anything. Straight out of habit, after opening the pudding, I went to lick the cover only to mash it on my teeth and realize that that made no sense because I couldn't lick it. Another moment of "derr". That instance again made me realize how much I miss being able to lick my lips and how much easier life would be if I could do that. But that time is coming. I honestly believe the hardest part is over and now all I have to do is hold on for a couple of weeks...

Until then, stay classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment