Monday, December 19, 2011

The days after...

So I had surgery on Thursday morning, and it is currently Monday afternoon. I luckily have been pain-free (for the most part) in my recovery. The only REAL pain I am having is in my shoulder still - I've put heat packs on it and iced it, but it still feels like someone is stabbing it. I must've seriously put that shoulder through something during surgery.

That is not to say that this recuperation process has been easy, however. As i mnetioned, I haven't really had any jaw pain just yet, but it has been soooo annoying. It feels as though I have just had shots of Novocaine inserted throughout my face. My lips are insanely chapped. I am not looking forward necessarily to having feeling back in them, because I am sensing that my lips will be the most painful part of all o this. I have basically been rolling tubes of chapstick all over my face...I think I am usually applying it to my lips, but I am pretty sure I have put a my fair share of chapstick on my teeth.

I am starting to get a little more movement in my mouth as well. I can sort of begin to form the beginnings of a smile. It is still a little painful, but I am getting there on that front!

Taking in liquids has been a bit of a challenge too. I've had to work straws around to different angles in my mouth, and even then, I am not guaranteed that I will be getting any liquid out of it due to my lack of "suck-power". I am already so sick of broth. There is only so much of that I can take. I have been trying to take esnure and boost in order to make sure I am still taking in some vitamins. Hopefully, when you all see me next, I will look a little more normal! My facial swelling has gone down some - I still look like a pretty big freak, but it definitely has decreased. I'll try to put up another picture tomorrow so you can all see for yourself!

*WARNING - POSSIBLY GROSS*

Perhaps my favorite routine, however, is when I have to swish/use mouth wash. I basically put back a shot of a mouth cleaner, and move my head from side to side in order to try and get all sides of my mouth. When that's all over though, I can't really spit. I have to basically bend my face over the sink, part my lips, and try to just sort of let everything fall out. Luckily for me, though, my nose has stopped filling with blood. I used to not only let the mouthwash fall out of my face, but every so often blood would start gushing out of my nose and get mixed in all over my face. That part is more or less over though. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment