Yesterday was my final one on one meeting with the surgeon to talk about any last minute questions that I might have and for him to make sure that I understood everything that was going to happen along with introducing me to his assisting surgeon.
One of my biggest questions/concerns was this whole issue of people having their mouth's wired shut. He assured me that he has never had to wire anybody's mouth shut who has undergone this procedure before and doesn't envision having to do so with me unless something doesn't go according to plan. So, if I'm walking around with my mouth wired shut for a few weeks, you'll know not to ask me how it went. Let's hope I don't get wired shut.
What he does do, I guess, is basically use rubber bands to hold me in place. He said I should be able to talk almost immediately, which has me worried. I was kind of banking on not having to talk to any of you idiots for awhile and having an excuse (jokes, people, jokes!). We'll see though - I think there is likely a difference between being able to talk and WANTING to talk. It'll probably be relatively painful to try and talk for the first week or two.
I'm also going to be put on a liquid diet for a few weeks. i was under the impression it would be all liquids for 6-8 weeks, but he made it sound as if by that point I will be able to be eating soft foods and after 8 weeks, hopefully onto some more solid foods. Either way, hopefully this will kickstart my diet!
Hard to believe 24 hours from me writing this, my mouth will be propped open and two surgeons will be re-constructing my jaw bones.
Speaking of surgeons, I met the surgeon that will be assisting on the operation. He played football for U of R...I'm not sure how to feel about that. I've been around meathead football players for about 10ish years of my life....I could count on no hands how many of those blockheads I would want operating on my mouth. I hope he is better at surgery than his school is at football...ZINGER! But in all seriousness now folks, he seems like a pretty good guy.
That's about all the relevant news I have for now. I'll probably make one last update later tonight when I really start getting nervous about this, or maybe early tomorrow morning before I go in for surgery.
All the best until then!
No comments:
Post a Comment